Standing Together Against POTS
POTS Support Group
- Frustrated that your diagnosis took years to identify?
- Grappling to accept your diagnosis?
- Feeling defeated by the invalidation of professionals who didn’t believe you were sick?
- Despairing at how your life has changed, and missing the activities you used to enjoy?
- Feeling overwhelmed by your debilitating, painful, exhausting symptoms?
- Finding it difficult to stick with your treatment regimen?
- Experiencing frustration and sadness that family members, friends, and others can’t seem to understand that you truly are ill?
- Struggling with anxiety as you try to go about your day?
- Fearing that you may never improve and never really enjoy your life again?
- Wondering if there is anyone else out there who can relate?
You are not alone and you don't have to cope with your chronic illness in isolation!
Dr. Laurie Dos Santos specializes in providing compassionate psychotherapy services to individual clients with chronic illnesses. Recognizing that there truly is “strength in numbers”—that individuals dealing with chronic health conditions could benefit greatly from sharing their struggles and successes—she is drawing on her group therapy background, CBT skills and DBT expertise to create and launch this innovative process group.
Through structured online sessions held every other week, you will meet in a safe, caring, healing space with six or seven others who know what it’s like to contend with these chronic invisible illnesses because they, too, are doing so. You’ll have the opportunity to share your experiences, receive understanding feedback and support, and learn new skills and strategies for coping and flourishing.
In Your Standing Together Against POTS Group, You Will:
- Feel accepted and validated as you connect with others who won’t dismiss your difficulties
- Feel empowered as you listen and offer your support
- Learn tips, tricks, and life hacks that are working for others who are on the chronic illness journey
- Acquire insights and techniques that will help you overcome anxiety, anger, grief and despair—now and for the rest of your life
- Practice skills for sharing your challenges and getting the support you need
- Cultivate the self-acceptance and inner calm that will help you live confidently despite uncertainty
- Set new personal goals that will help you focus on your future with acceptance and anticipation
Groups Are Forming Now!
Who May Participate
Standing Together Against POTS groups are open to adolescents and young adults who have ME/CFS, dysautonomia and related illnesses, now including long COVID. Individuals who live in VA, MD, DC, NY, and any other Psypact states are eligible to participate.
Your group will meet every other Wednesday 4:00 – 5:00 pm for 10 sessions. In joining, you are committing to participate for the duration of the program. At the end of the 10 sessions, those who choose to continue beyond this point are welcome to do so!
To ensure we provide the best experience and correct group placement, a 30 minute intake session will be required. Participants will also be required to complete initial paperwork and group consent forms.